With the inception of internet gambling, especially online casinos, technological trends have changed how players wager on games. Among the different sections that have seen changes, payment methods or account generally has seen improvements. This crucial movement is part of the reasons for millions of players’ involvement in the industry.
In the past, bank cards like Visa and Mastercard were the gatekeepers of online casino payments. Although they are still in use today, other top alternatives are now emerging. The latest among them, cryptocurrency, is fast becoming a gamer’s favorite, providing much-needed privacy.
There are still so many new changes that these top banking options are introducing into the online gambling industry, and this will be this article’s focus. We will discuss how modern payment methods are changing the face of gaming online and take a look at each solution. But before then, we begin with some history about its origin. To conclude, we will dive into the blockchain industry and its various benefits that players and operators currently enjoy. If you’re ready, let’s discuss it.
Payments for casino gaming have seen many trends through the years. In the past, account funding was via cash payments at the teller only. Players will queue up at the deposit point to submit cash and receive chips or coins to insert in a machine or place wagers at a table.
However, online casino banking goes back to 1994, when the first iGaming platform surfaced. Here’s a timeline of happenings.
- 1994-2000: bank transfer and credit cards. This decade witnessed the rise of wire transfers and bank/credit cards. Each came from the Western Union and is still in operation today. Wire transfers transact large sums but take up to business days for processing. Credit cards are another alternative. More of this later.
- 2001-2010: eChecks and Digital Wallets. The early 2000s saw the rise of digital wallets, which are still in use today. PayPal was the first, and Skrill followed immediately, with Neteller, in the close rear. Other wallets are now in operation today, like Google Pay and ecoPayz. eChecks also dominated this era. Anyone could send a check to the operator to fund an account. As you may expect, it took a long for the process and confirmation.
- 2010-2021: mobile banking, cryptocurrency, gift cards. As online casinos launched their mobile platforms, the need for mobile banking options became high. This led to different mobile apps that allow players to fund their accounts directly on mobile. Cryptocurrency has become another aspect that is currently popular. Gift cards, like vouchers, are also a faster means and another top modern payment method.
Popular Payment Methods for Online Casinos
As it stands, there are now diverse banking options gamers can use to fund their accounts. Although there are many, some methods are more popular than others. They are widely in use globally, which is a major reason why many players can comfortably deposit or request withdrawals on the fastest withdrawal online casino NZ. However, each differs in handling your transactions, whether for funding or payouts.
These methods include:
Bank transfers: as stated, they are among the oldest forms of casino payment methods. This option allows players to deposit or withdraw large amounts with no issues. However, they attract high fees and a longer processing time.
Credit/debit Cards: credit cards are another option, serving as a great alternative to transfers.
E-wallets: e-wallets form the basis for mobile casinos. It’s a great option where players can fund casino accounts on mobile.
Prepaid cards: prepaid cards are also famous for their high privacy features. It comes as a voucher, allowing players to deposit only.
Pay by phone: the pay by phone method is another top option. Like the name signifies, players can fund their casino accounts and add the payment to their phone bill.
Cryptocurrency: cryptocurrency uses the blockchain network, favoring privacy and high-speed confirmations.
What are Digital Payments, and how do they Work?
Digital payments are almost a direct result of e-commerce activities. Its rise now makes players carry out transactions with ease. As the name implies, all payments through this method are made online, eliminating the exchange of physical hard cash. Also known as an electronic payment, the payer and payee use a digital device to complete transactions.
Whether all payments happen in person or online is insignificant. The main idea is the use of a digital medium. But how do they work?
On the surface, it involves a few clicks or the insertion of a card into a machine. Several intermediaries at the backend work to ensure the payment is complete. The payer (consumer) initiates the transaction, and his issuing bank debits his account after confirming enough cash or credit.
At the other end, the acquiring bank (payee or merchant) will receive payment and credit the account. There will be an e-receipt that shows the payment is successful.
Here are the primary forms of digital payments. Each of them involves an online mode, and when it comes to online gambling, the merchant is the internet casino. While the operator players receive confirmation from their banks, they can only know the payment has gone through if their casino accounts receive credit.
Credit/debit cards are almost number one in online casinos’ banking options. While there have been several debates on the ethical and safe usage of this method, especially credit cards. Yet, it is still regarded as the best option by many analysts.
Here, payment comes directly from the player’s bank account, eliminating third parties’ involvement. It is also available for deposits and withdrawals. The benefits of this option are many, particularly the security. The top variants you will find are the Mastercard and Visa options. However, they are not the only ones, as some iGaming platforms offer Maestro, American Express, etc.
E-wallets are now a go-to option for digital payments, especially for tech-savvy players. The continuous innovations this sector enjoys, with new features added regularly, are a key factor. Hence, don’t expect to see it go down anytime soon. Its popularity makes it almost head-to-head with credit/debit cards.
A crucial benefit it enjoys is that it offers fast deposits and withdrawals. Players don’t have to wait for long periods, unlike most methods. In addition, its security is top-notch, using high-end encryption protocols to safeguard customers’ information. There are several types available in use across online casinos, including:
- Skrill: Skrill is one of the leading options for e-wallets, and several users heavily depend on it to play casino games. There are no technicalities in using it too. You only have to register on the official website and use an ID it generates to link your casino account.
- PayPal: Next on the list is PayPal, which is among the few standing e-wallets still in use. It is also common, having over 300 million users currently. Players can quickly settle for its options, thanks to the high-security verification techniques it employs in protecting identities.
- Neteller: Neteller is a sister company to Skrill and has been in operation for a long time. It doesn’t have limitations when using it, which makes it an essential option.
Bank transfer is another top variant of online casino banking methods. This option is simple and straightforward, as banking institutions have no problems connecting directly with a casino platform. With this method’s high-security infrastructure, you can use your account information to begin transfers with no issues. Among the vast protocols it uses are the strict KYC requirements, which are designed to eliminate money laundering and other fraudulent practices.
While deposits can be instant through wire transfers, the withdrawal requests using this solution could be an issue. As we stated earlier, payouts may take as long as 10 working days for processing and confirmation. Another challenge you should consider is the transaction fees, which vary between financial institutions and casinos. Yet, some iGaming websites still offer zero charges if you use them. Before using it, you only have to study and know the terms and conditions.
While this option may not be as prevalent as others, it’s still a top option for many casino users. If you’re keen on keeping your payment information as private as possible from casino operators, this is an excellent choice.
How it works is that it is loaded in cash, and when a player purchases it, they can enter the pin to fund the casino account. It’s possible to get it as a virtual or digital/physical gift card. When using this option for online casinos, the choice of the iGaming site and regulations of the prepaid card provider matter.
There are several cards in use for online gambling. They include:
- Visa prepaid. This method comes with zero overcharge fees and a small one-time activation fee.
- American Express. You can quickly reload a card you purchase, and it has no overdraft fees.
- Paysafecard. Paysafecard is another top option and a sister brand to Neteller and Skrill. It is available in over 40 countries and offers a 16-digit pin to ensure high security.
- Neosurf. Like Paysafecard, this variant also provides a pin that you can enter to fund your casino account.
- Play+. This selection is still relatively unknown but has several top features. (nazarethlivingcenter.org) This includes the availability of digital and physical cards. It also comes with a high monthly transaction limit.
NFC payment options, also known as near-field communications, is a top modern tool online casinos provide as a payment method. Its huge benefits now make it a top option for several tech corporations, including Google. The role it plays in day-to-day transactions is grossly underrated. This also extends to online casinos, where the availability of mobile gaming sites and apps now makes this payment type relevant.
The way it works is simple. You connect your casino account to your smartphone app and instantly process payments. The benefits are massive. Like most of the payment methods discussed, it is highly secure. They come with encryption, ensuring your personal and financial data is safe. Besides, it is highly convenient, allowing you to fund and receive payouts quickly.
There are different mobile payment options available. However, the most popular of them include Apple Pay and Google Pay. These options are highly secure and, as the name implies, apply to iOS and Android users, respectively. Since they are almost compatible with operating systems, players can easily fund their accounts, thanks to the convenience and high-security processes.
Blockchain has become a world payment method. Thanks to available wallets, anyone can conduct transactions from anywhere and anytime. This is due to the decentralization protocols it uses.
In general, blockchain and cryptocurrency have become the top option for gambling. The number of online casinos that offer only blockchain payment methods is increasing daily, thanks to their vast benefits. Particular among them are the privacy and high-security techniques it employs.
You can easily find “Bitcoin casinos” across several jurisdictions, offering impressive bonuses to players to jump on. However, other coins are steadily becoming popular. This includes Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash, Dogecoin, Bitcoin Cash, etc.
They are becoming a clear option because of the swiftness of transaction processing they offer to customers, high privacy, and security. Players can easily fund their accounts, irrespective of jurisdiction, which is why they are widespread.
It will be impossible to talk about blockchain technology’s impact without buttressing its incentives. Bonuses and promotions at crypto casinos are most generous, with fair wagering requirements. Players can quickly settle for a number of options, allowing them to fund their accounts easily while operating within the blockchain network.
Casino payments form the basis of real money gaming. With the rise of tech solutions, it is easy to choose from different methods to fund accounts. Future gaming trends are showing great potential, especially with the rise of cryptocurrency payment options. This includes the use of tokenization and cryptography, two essential security protocols that offer high benefits to players.
This does not take away the centralized payment solutions, like bank credit/debit cards, which allow players to connect their bank information and eliminate middlemen. Prepaid cards are another top secure tool that promotes convenience and low fees. However, you can still settle for alternatives like wire transfer, which has higher security protocols, like strict verification processes.