AMD released the Adrenalin Edition 23.1.2 graphics drivers today for its Radeon RX 7900 series graphics cards. In a first, this update is squarely targeting the RDNA 3 family, leaving out the older Radeon RX 6000 and 5000 offerings. This is highly unusual as AMD’s latest graphics drivers are solely for two newly released SKUs, making them largely ceremonial. Of course, this doesn’t mean that driver support for older generations has been shelved. We’re likely looking at a staggered release as per the GPU hierarchy.
Going through the driver highlights, one can tell that not much has changed. The change notes mention support for Forsaken, a freshly released RPG from Square Enix, and a couple of API-level improvements. That’s the entire package. We’ll have to test the game with and without the latest drivers on a Radeon RX 7900 series GPU to find out if it actually makes a difference. The description and notes are as follows:
- Support for:
- IREE compiler using MLIR interface on Vulkan.
- Additional Vulkan® extensions. Click here for more information.
- AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition may fail to launch with the error message “Delayed Write Failed” on Microsoft® Windows® 11 version 22H2.
- Poor performance and load time may be observed while playing SpaceEngine™.
- Missing or flickering textures may be observed while playing Emergency 4™.
- High idle power has situationally been observed when using select high-resolution and high refresh rate displays.
- Video stuttering or performance drop may be observed during gameplay plus video playback with some extended display configuration.
- Stuttering may be observed in UNCHARTED™ 4: A Thief’s End during the opening game sequence.
- Stuttering may be observed in Forspoken™ when dynamic resolution is set to enabled.
- Application crash may be observed while opening Premium Gold Packs in EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23.
- Stuttering may be observed while playing Sea of Thieves™.
- Corruption may be observed while playing Battlefield™ 4 with Post Process Quality settings set to high or ultra
- Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance.
- Maximum encode bitrate is limited to 100Mbps for certain applications.
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.1.2 for AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 Series Graphics and Forspoken™ Driver Version 22.40.01.34 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.14001.34008).