The use of new technologies simplifies many processes. Businesses began to actively use cryptocurrencies, work with large volumes of information and artificial intelligence, involve virtual reality technologies in their advertising products, etc. (Trmadol)
Nothing can stop the process of digitalization which poses new challenges regarding the legal regulation of actions and digital rights management. How do new realities affect business, and how do online data rooms help cope with the challenges of small and large corporations? We will talk about this right now.
Digital Rights Management: the Root of the Problem
On the one hand, technological solutions simplify many processes and allow the performing of many tasks at a technologically high level. For example, marketers can collect data about customers and potential target audiences and receive emails, phone numbers, age, gender, preferences, and a lot of other information. At the same time, a lot of digital intellectual property is emerging, and without proper protection, it becomes public, while its authors are left without a deserved profit.
And there is also the dilemma of the prohibition of discrimination, the protection of vulnerable categories of people, the human right to private life, freedom of speech, and other fundamental norms. New issues and dilemmas arise every day, and first of all, they affect data corporations, social networks, and other companies in the same way.
Protecting digital rights is a complex task in which digital rights management (DRM) becomes the primary tool. It includes such technical capabilities as:
- encrypting data;
- implementing multifactor user authentication;
- regulating the level of user access to specific data; and
- monitoring the behavior of different categories of users, etc.
In this regard, data room services can significantly simplify the tasks set before companies and individual digital rights owners and make this process as convenient as possible.
Virtual Data Rooms and Digital Rights Management: Where’s the Connection?
An online data room is a platform for storing and distributing content, and you can use VDR for networking and other additional options. In combination with DRM, virtual data rooms become not just online storage for various files but the main point of their management.
It is possible due to the key VDR features:
- Security. Several degrees of encryption, compliance with the latest cyber security standards, and multi-level protection against unauthorized access are included in the dataroom software. Except that money is stored more safely in bank cells.
- The ability to regulate access for different categories of users and limit access rights as needed is another reason to use virtual data rooms to protect digital intellectual property.
- Convenient and secure content distribution. Since only the owner and the user with the appropriate invitation can enter the virtual data room, this method of information transfer is both simple and reliable.
- Statistics. A digital asset owner can see who downloaded documents and when it happened, which files are most popular, and more.
In this way, the virtual data room is perfectly compatible with the requirements of DRM control. It is similar to how you keep your most valuable things in a safe, and the safe itself is in a house with a reliable lock or even an alarm system. Thus, VDR and DRM together create a similar combination, providing additional opportunities for operational rights management and proper protection.
Why Combine Virtual Rooms and DRM?
You can use only VDR or DRM, but the data-room.ca site offers you to combine the advantages of both technological solutions. This way, you can set up a virtual data room and instantly protect all of its contents. The content will remain inaccessible to unauthorized users, and the owner of such content can only grant the right to download, share or distribute.
Thus, you avoid unwanted leaks or interception of valuable intellectual property. At the same time, you protect yourself from unwanted financial losses or reputational risks. As long as you don’t use DRM with data room services, you’ll learn about leaks after the fact and won’t have as many technical options to harm the process.
Consider that using VDR and DRM technologies is the best way to avoid unwanted consequences:
- client database leak and subsequent spam;
- public distribution of confidential information;
- access to files intended for private use, distribution for a fee, etc.
Whether the consequences are severe, such as lawsuits for breach of trade secrets, or remedial (for example, loss of potential profits), they negatively impact future operations.
Control over Digital Data: What Can You Do?
Using the electronic data room, you can organize your assets in a very convenient and straightforward way, with the most necessary digital rights management elements at your fingertips:
- Limiting access or viewing time;
- Setting permissions or restrictions for specific regions or IP addresses;
- You are limiting the maximum time for viewing content and regulating the terms of access to your documents, services, or other digital intellectual property.
Additionally, you can protect your documents with passwords, static and dynamic watermarks, or other identifiers of the owner. However, this will be the second line of defense, which is not enough.
The Most Common Areas of Use of VDR in Combination with DRM
Virtual data rooms are gaining popularity in business, in particular in the field of raising funds for startups and in the process of concluding agreements on company mergers. However, when it comes to VDR in the context of digital rights management, this technological scope of solution is much larger. Yes, you can see data room services in the following industries:
- Education (e.g. private educational institutions, corporate professional training);
- Financial projects (e.g. reports, forecasts, customer data, and agreements with partners);
- Legal companies (e.g. cases, information about clients, many essential documents);
- Pharmaceutical and research companies (it is crucial to protect achievements from unauthorized public access so they can only bring benefits).
If your company deals with content or confidential content in any way, using a virtual data room to manage digital access becomes not just a desirable but often a necessary step. Try the online data room and ensure that even the most critical issues can be solved simply and easily, with maximum benefit for your entire company.