Looking for a pocket-sized gaming buddy that runs Windows? Electronics brand GPD has now announced the new GPD WIN Max for global markets after debuting it in China last month. The tiny laptop with an 8-inch IPS screen boasts up to 162 FPS as per the benchmarks performed by GDP themselves. We haven’t personally tested it yet and hence recommend taking those figures with a grain of salt for now.
It features an Intel Core i5-1035G7 CPU and an 11th Generation Iris Plus 940 integrated graphics chip. That’s paired with 16GB of LPDDR4X RAM and a 512GB SSD to boot. Not bad considering the Win Max’s display is half that of a Full HD at 1280 x 800 pixels and hence in no need of any beefy specs.
Over on their launch page, they’ve included a whole lot of performance metrics which have been tested by them at the “default settings”. Take a look at some of the benchmarks.
These are pretty impressive specs for such a tiny device and is a promising entry if the figures are right.
It also includes a Thunderbolt 3 which is a neat feature if you want to connect the laptop to a larger external display, much like the Nintendo Switch. Additionally, you can use this port to connect an external GPU with an eGPU case such as the Razer Core X to greatly enhance the graphical capabilities, though the economic value of such a case is debatable.
Ergonomically, the laptop features an in-built gamepad and a touchpad, along with the standard backlit chiclet-style keyboard.
Have a look at the other specs (Courtesy gizchina):
- M.2 NVMe / AHCI 2280 SSD, Socket 3 / Socket 2 dual-protocol interface, sequential read / write over 2000MB / s, unlimited storage space expansion;
- Dual-channel LPDDR4 3733 memory, 16G ultra-large capacity, read, write, and copy speeds all exceed 60GB / s;
- Built-in Thunderbolt 3 interface, support 2 4K / 60Hz monitors connected at the same time, external eGFX, can achieve the best gaming experience;
- Built-in HDMI 2.0b high-definition digital interface, supports HDR, with the help of Intel SGX technology, can output 4K / 60Hz UHD BD video;
- Support the latest Wi-Fi 6, 300MB / s high-speed Internet access, which is 2.77 times faster than Wi-Fi 5G;
- Support Bluetooth 5.0, 3MB / s transmission speed, accurate positioning within 1 meter, long distance communication at 300 meters, can connect up to 7 Bluetooth devices;
- 3 × 5000mAh / 57Wh large capacity polymer lithium battery, heavy use for 3 hours, moderate use for 6 to 8 hours, light use for 14 hours;
- TDP adopts 15W, 20W, 25W three gears. When TDP is adjusted to 25W, the performance greatly surpasses the same configuration products on the market, maximizes the performance of the machine and meets various application scenarios;
- A newly designed gamepad, a split-type arrow key, and a rocker recessed non-slip design, which support the L3 / R3 function by pressing down;
- PC-class dual-turbine fan + dual heat pipe heat dissipation scheme, large displacement side-blow design, 9-hole high-speed heat dissipation channel;
- 60W super fast charge, based on PD 3.0 fast charge protocol, can charge mobile phones, tablets, laptops and other multiple devices at the same time.
Head over here to check out the official launch page, and over here to check out the tech specifications on their site.
With the product page now live, orders should be open soon as well. The “Order Now” button is currently not operational so we expect it going live soon. Check back for any updates.