In a blog post, Microsoft has stated that will test Windows 11 with older AMD Zen 1 (1st Gen Ryzen) and Intel 7th Gen systems to evaluate the performance to arrive at a conclusion whether they should be officially supported with the new OS. The initial requirements had stated that the company would only support AMD’s Ryzen 2000 and above, and Intel’s 8th Gen and higher processors with Windows 11.
Using the principles above, we are confident that devices running on Intel 8th generation processors and AMD Zen 2, as well as Qualcomm 7 and 8 Series, will meet our principles around security and reliability and minimum system requirements for Windows 11. As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles. We’re committed to sharing updates with you on the results of our testing over time, as well as sharing additional technical blogs.MS Blog post
As already stated, this makes no sense as the 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen processors are basically identical in terms of the microarchitecture and the same goes for the 6th, 7th, and 8th Gen Core CPUs from Intel. To install or upgrade to Windows 11, devices must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
- RAM: 4 GB or greater.
- Storage: 64 GB or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
- Additional storage space might be required to download updates and enable specific features.
- Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
- Display: High definition (720p) display, 9″ or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
- Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
- Windows 11 Home edition requires an Internet connection and a Microsoft Account to complete device setup on first use.