CPUsNews

Intel’s Mobile CPU Market Share Expected to Drop Below 70% in 1H 2021

With AMD’s return to the mobile market, Intel has been struggling to keep its share of the pie. As per the latest reports from multiple sources, AMD presently holds around 20-25% of the mobile CPU market in Q3 2020, with Intel holding onto the rest of the 75%.

Source

However, as per the latest report from Digitimes, analysts expect, that figure to drop below 70% in the first half of 2021. Intel’s latest Tiger Lake-U lineup has gotten a mixed response. The primary concern with Tiger Lake is that at the 15W TDP, it performs more or less on par with AMD’s existing Ryzen 4000 “Renoir” processors.

The promise of mainstream gaming with the Gen12 Xe graphics featured on the new chips has also been a wet dream as of now as the top-end Core i7-1185G7 fails to beat the Ryzen 7 4800U in most games. This is either due to poor driver support or lack of in-game optimizations. The Vega GPUs on Renoir are based on the GCN design that has been around for more than a decade now, powering multiple console generations.

AMD is expected to launch its Ryzen 5000 mobile APUs at CES 2021. It will be based on two architectures, Cezanne (Zen 3 + Vega) and Lucienne (Renoir refresh with Zen 2 + Vega). The Ryzen 5 5500U and Ryzen 7 5700U will reportedly leverage the latter while the 5600U and 5800U will be based on the former. Intel, on the other hand, is looking to launch 8-core variants of Tiger Lake in early 2021 with DG2 dedicated mobile graphics on the side.

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to. Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!
Back to top button