CPUsNews

Intel Continues to Make Minor Gains in Market Share in Germany (Mindfactory)

Intel’s 10th Gen Comet Lake-S launch has hardly made an impact in the DIY market. Even without any major price-cuts, AMD CPUs are selling way more than their blue counterparts. Sure, there were some really enticing discounts around the time the 10th Gen lineup launched, but now the prices of most 3rd Gen Ryzen processors are back to normal. As per the latest data provided by Mindfactory, Intel has been able to increase its market share by just 3% in the last three months in Germany. Keep in mind that these numbers don’t represent the global mood of the market, but are still a good indication of local DIYers’ mindset:

AMD still has a major 84% of the market share while Intel is clinging on to the remaining 16%. On Team Red’s side, the Ryzen 5 3600 is (unsurprisingly) the most popular CPU, followed by the Ryzen 7 3700X. Intel has more interesting stats, with the 10th Gen Core i7-10700K and its 9th Gen equivalent, the Core i9-9900K being the most popular parts. This makes sense and just goes on to show how aware the consumers in this segment really are. Scaling in games drops sharply north of the Core i9-9900K/i7-10700K, with the new 10-core i9-10900K not only suffering from GPU bottlenecks but chip shortages as well.

For Intel, Comet Lake-S and Coffee Lake-S account for roughly half the revenue from the DIY market, each, with the former having a larger profit margin. In terms of the average sales price over the years, you can see how low AMD’s margins were prior to Zen, with the ASP being just over 100 bucks while Intel was well over 200 bucks. At present, the Coffee Lake and Matisse chips have roughly the same ASP while Comet Lake being a notch higher.

Although the Ryzen 5 3600 sells a lot more than the Ryzen 7 3700X, as you can conclude from these charts, AMD earns a lot more in revenue from the latter. It looks like making the 3600 the most popular consumer CPU came at a price for Team Red.

You can also see the Matisse refresh processors, the 3600XT and the 3900XT slowly climbing the ranks, with the latter now being in the top-ten in terms of CPU revenue, higher than both the Core i5-10600K as well as the Core i7-9700K. In August, Intel’s most successful part was the Core i7-10700K, holding the 6th position in terms of revenue. Lack of supply and high pricing has pushed the Core i9-10900K to the bottom of the chart on both fronts.

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to.Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button