GamingGPUsNews

Gaming GPU Market Unchanged in Q1 2020: AMD at 31%, NVIDIA w/ 69%

The discrete graphics card market remained unchanged in the first quarter of 2020. Basically, this is the calm before the storm. In the coming months both NVIDIA and AMD will launch their Ampere and Navi 2x GPUs, setting the stage for the next-gen console launch.

After the drop of Q3 2019, AMD has started regaining market, with a steady Q1 2020. At the end of March 2020, AMD held over 31% of the GPU market and NVIDIA accounted for the remaining 69%. At present, in terms of value-for-money, AMD holds a major advantage in the market, with the Radeon RX 5700 costing as much as the RTX 2060 and offering 2060 Super levels of performance. The same goes for the 5700 XT which costs nearly the same as the RTX 2060 Super while performing mostly on par with the RTX 2070 Super.

NVIDIA, however, holds a monopoly in the ultra high-end graphics card market with the RTX 2080 Super and the RTX 2080 Ti being the two fastest GPUs gamers can choose from. AMD doesn’t really have a presence here, and the results are clear. The RTX 2080 Ti despite being only 15-20% faster than the 2080 Super costs around twice as much.

We expect NVIDIA and AMD to launch their next-gen graphics cards in August or September. According to preliminary estimates, the RTX 3080 will be around 30-40% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti, with the 3080 Ti beating the latter by more than 70%. There’s no word on the Navi 2x or Big Navi GPUs at the moment.

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to.Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button