Gradual changes in the construction industry are happening all the time. This is a natural process. However, there is something that has the potential to revolutionize the entire construction industry – Building Information Modeling (BIM) technology.
Originally, BIM technology was developed for use during the design phase. But now BIM is a tool that can radically change the entire construction industry.
Information Modeling technology is a fresh challenge to old building technologies and processes. Technology models are composed of parametric interconnections and smart objects. The BIM model’s detection occurs during the complete life cycle of a construction, including the development of project conception and design, analysis, and plan of working documents, construction, use, repair, and dismantling of the facility.
Designers add all information to the 3D model during the complete life cycle of the construction. With this technology, they can automatically recalculate data for business planning, material procurement, control over the workers, logistics, installation, construction, and transfer of the object to operation. Using this technology, you can combine information that the company already has with new data.
Why BIM Technology?
Using the building information model facilitates the work with the object and has many advantages over the previous forms of design. First, it is worth highlighting:
- Design time. The design speed is much higher, there is no need to make drawings by hand on paper. It is a well-coordinated, coherent, and interconnected design effort.
- Elaboration of details. Improved elaboration of sections of the project amenable to calculations and analysis.
- Complete feasibility study of the project.
- Researching various options and creating high-quality project documentation.
- The result of building information modelling is an object-oriented digital model of the entire facility and the process of its construction.
- The information model exists during the complete life cycle of a building.
Using the BIM modelling service, it is possible to achieve almost complete compliance with the operational characteristics of the new building to the customer’s requirements.
Refuting the Main BIM Myths
For a better understanding of Building Information Modeling, we refuted some myths about this technology. So, what BIM can’t do.
- BIM technology is not perfect. People created the technology, people brought information about the object, and people made mistakes. But these errors are much less than when a man manipulates data himself. In addition, the program has a multilevel data correctness control, so we can consider BIM the best design solution.
- BIM is only 3D. The technology includes not only a 3D picture of the project but also numerical characteristics, specifications, tables, calendar charts, prices, email addresses, and more.
- BIM replaces humans. BIM technology cannot exist without a person and requires more professionalism from him, a better, comprehensive understanding of the design process, and more responsibility in his work. But BIM makes humans work more efficiently.
Information modelling technology is a very complex process that can significantly facilitate the process of object design. The technology is still relatively new, but realizing what advantages it provides, more and more companies are adopting it.