CPUsGPUsUncategorized

AMD Ryzen 5000 APUs “Cezanne” to Use Vega iGPUs Instead of Navi [Rumor]

It seems more and more likely that AMD’s next-gen Ryzen 5000 APU lineup, codenamed Cezanne will once again use the older Vega iGPUs rather than Navi. This was discovered by Komachi who points out that the device id of Cezanne, “0x1638/1002” with the designation, “CZN_RENOIR” means that it’ll most likely leverage the GCN based Vega iGPUs.

This may sound disappointing, but I believe there’s a valid reason why AMD has once again opted for Vega. The older GCN based iGPU design has been used in APUs for several generations now, and as such is highly optimized for use in low-power mobile devices. The fact that AMD was able to nearly double the performance of the Vega GPUs without increasing the CU count in Renoir speaks volumes.

The Ryzen 5000 APUs, namely Cezanne will be fabbed on the enhanced version of TSMC’s N7 node which will make it easier to extract another 10-20% performance by just bumping up the operating clocks. AMD can easily increase the CU count, accounting for another 30-40% uplift which will overall result in a substantial gain of 50-60%, more than enough to take on Intel’s Tiger Lake and Gen12 offerings.

It’s also important to note that Cezanne will use the Zen 3 cores instead of Zen 2, so we can also expect a lofty gain in terms of raw CPU performance, especially when it comes to gaming performance and IPC. The Ryzen 5000 APUs are slated to launch in 2021, first on notebooks and then on the AM4 platform. This will likely be the last lineup to leverage the AM4 socket.

Source
Source

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to. Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!
Back to top button
Close