CPUsNews

AMD Ryzen 5000 APUs “Cezanne” Based on Zen 3 to Use Vega Graphics, Not Navi

As already reported earlier, AMD’s Ryzen 5000 APUs codenamed Cezanne will retain the 7nm Vega graphics instead of the newer Navi GPUs. This new info comes from an SiSoft leak which includes the graphics tests for an 8 CU Vega graphics with the “Celadon-CZN Renoir” codename. While we can’t say with 100% certainty that this a Ryzen 5000 APU, the chances are quite high.

Let’s have a look at the GPU performance figures:

  • CZN (Vega 8 @ 1.85GHz): 265.67Mpix/s (106.61%)
  • Renoir (Vega 8 @ 1.75GHz): 187.17Mpix/s (100%)

As you can see, the Vega 8 GPU featured on Cezanne is around 6-7% faster than its Renoir counterpart. Keep in mind that this is despite the fact that the latter is using LPDDR4x memory while the former is limited to LPDD4 speeds. As such, you can expect a decent 15-20% boost with the further enhanced Vega integrated graphics.

This may sound disappointing, but I believe there’s a valid reason why AMD has once again opted for Vega. The older GCN based iGPU design has been used in APUs for several generations now, and as such is highly optimized for use in low-power mobile devices. The fact that AMD was able to nearly double the performance of the Vega GPUs without increasing the CU count in Renoir speaks volumes.

The Ryzen 5000 APUs, namely Cezanne will be fabbed on the enhanced version of TSMC’s N7 node which will make it easier to extract another 10-20% performance by just bumping up the operating clocks. The fact that the Vega GPU on this Cezanne sample is running at 1.85GHz is a clear indication of this. AMD can easily increase the CU count, accounting for another 30-40% uplift which will overall result in a substantial gain of 50-60%, more than enough to take on Intel’s Tiger Lake and Gen12 offerings.

It’s also important to note that Cezanne will use the Zen 3 cores instead of Zen 2, so we can also expect a lofty gain in terms of raw CPU performance, especially when it comes to gaming performance and IPC. The Ryzen 5000 APUs are slated to launch in 2021, first on notebooks and then on the AM4 platform. This will likely be the last lineup to leverage the AM4 socket.

Source

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to. Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!
Back to top button