GamingGPUsNews

AMD Made Rapid Strides in the GPU Market in Q4 2019 as Discrete GPU Adoption Soared

2019 was an especially fruitful year for AMD. While the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs reigned supreme in the consumer processor market, the Radeon RX 5700 series “Navi” helped AMD regain some of its lost shares from NVIDIA. This is the second-largest gain Team Red has seen since the crypt-fever got over. At the end of Q3 2019, the Navi 10 GPUs had launched and AMD sat over 27% of the discrete GPU share, with NVIDIA commanding a massive lead, controlling the remaining 73%.

JPR, Compiled by 3dcenter.com

In Q4, AMD’s shares in the add-in board GPU market grew from 27% to 31% a healthy increase of 4%. NVIDIA’s share shrunk marginally from 73% to 69% as gamers started anticipating the launch of the next-gen Ampere GPUs. Let’s have a look at the overall graphics processor market, including the integrated Intel chips:

The discrete graphics card market has been growing rapidly over the past year, with an increase of nearly 10%. Consequently, Intel iGPUs were disabled by ~10% users. It’s not entirely clear whether these consumers moved to AMD’s Ryzen CPUs or just upgraded to a discrete GPU. Whatever the case, dGPU adoption isn’t falling, rather growing steadily.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Radeon graphics did in Q1 2020 amid various driver issues and the RX 5600 XT launch. Usually, the sales drop at this time of the year as OEMs prepare to launch new products and the holiday rush fizzles.

Areej

Computer Engineering dropout (3 years), writer, journalist, and amateur poet. I started Techquila while in college to address my hardware passion. Although largely successful, it suffered from many internal weaknesses. Left and now working on Hardware Times, a site purely dedicated to.Processor architectures and in-depth benchmarks. That's what we do here at Hardware Times!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button